The city of Cantù has about 40 000 inhabitants (as of 2011) and is located in the northern Italian province of Como, in Lombardy. It is located about 12 kilometers south of the provincial capital of Como in the hills of Brianza. The entire Brianza is known for its furniture industry.
Cantu has excellent links with the A9 motorway, exit Fino Mornasco. Cantu also has a railway station on the branch line Como-Lecco with the rail company Rete Ferroviaria Italiana. South of the city, there is another train station, Cantù-Cermenate, which is on the main line Chiasso-Milano. Here the suburban trains are operated by Trenord S-Bahn Milan. Cantu is also accessible by bus from Como and other places in the region.
In addition to the clean spruced up old town with partially car-free shopping streets, pay particular attention to the district of Galliano located on a hill and to the church of San Vincenzo with the corresponding Baptistery of San Giovanni which are exxpecially worth seeing. The church was built in 1007 on a previous building dating from the 5th century. In the three-nave interior are the precious remains of frescoes from the 10th century, suggesting that at that time the whole interior of the church was decorated with frescoes.